Crafting a compelling job listing involves key elements that resonate with potential candidates. Here are some tips on how to make it concise and engaging while retaining its value:
Understanding Your Audience. Consider how candidates read your posting. Most will be read on a smartphone. Keep it brief and to the point for online postings. Even printed copies should prioritize essential information.
Writing an Effective Listing
- Ease of Reading: Make it reader friendly with clear headings and bullet points.
- Company Overview: Briefly introduce your company's services and size, helping candidates assess if they align with your organization's values.
- Position Summary: Provide a concise paragraph explaining the role's intent and relevance.
- Desirable Traits: Highlight personality characteristics for success within your company culture. Showcase the traits that set your company apart.
- Responsibilities: Describe the role's responsibilities in detail, including specific tasks and interactions.
- Requirements: List clear qualifications candidates need for the job. Include essential experiences, certifications and skills.
- Additional Information: Mention any tools, training or screening processes involved. Clarify application instructions and whether you'll contact all applicants.
- Creativity: Feel free to be creative while maintaining professionalism. Attract candidates who resonate with your company's unique style.
Example: Motorcoach Driver Requirement
- Valid CDL with endorsements (P, S, etc.).
- Pass pre-employment drug screen.
- Clear criminal background check.
- Driving record meets standards.
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Company credit card
- Company cell phone
- Flexible or set schedule
Streamlining your job listing helps ensure clarity and resonance with potential candidates, improving your hiring process.
To view the toolkit in its entirety, click here
Mark Your Calendar:
The Driving Force will be hosting a webinar titled "Are You Using Technology to Your Advantage in Hiring" on September 27 at 2 p.m. ET.
Over the next several weeks, we will be utilizing ChatGPT to create emails from the information provided in our toolkit. ChatGPT is just one of the topics we will discuss on the webinar. Register today and let us know how you think ChatGPT worked for us.